- The Search - in stores on March 6, 2007 from Transmit Sounds/Legacy Recordings.
- Radio folks - click here to get on the mailing list for the advance radio samplers shipping out in late January.
- Stream three tracks in Windows Media - "The Picture," "The Search" and "Circadian Rhythms."
- See Press release below for more details.
March-May 2007 Tour dates:
2/5 update: New shows on April 5 and May 1-19
- 3/26 The Nightlight - Bellingham, WA
- 3/27 Showbox - Seattle, WA
- 3/28 Crystal Ballroom - Portland, OR
- 3/30 The Fillmore - San Francisco, CA
- 3/31 Mystic Theatre - Petaluma, CA
- 4/3 El Rey Theatre - Los Angeles, CA
- 4/4 Belly Up - Solana Beach, CA
- 4/5 Rialto Theatre - Tucson, AZ
- 4/7 Fox Theatre - Boulder, CO
- 4/9 First Avenue - Minneapolis, MN
- 4/10 Vic Theatre - Chicago, IL
- 4/12 Mod Club - Toronto, ONT
- 4/13 Higher Ground - Burlington, VT
- 4/14 Pearl St. - Northampton, MA
- 4/15 Paradise - Boston, MA
- 4/18 Irving Plaza - New York, NY
- 4/19 Mr. Small’s - Pittsburgh, PA
- 4/20 Headliners - Louisville, KY
- 4/21 The Pageant - St. Louis, MO
- 5/1 George’s Majestic Lounge - Fayetteville, AR
- 5/2 Revolution Room -
Little Rock, AR
- 5/3 Ridglea Theater -
Ft. Worth, TX
- 5/4 Stubb’s -
- 5/5 Floore’s Country Store - Helotes, TX
- 5/6 Continental Club -
- 5/8 House of Blues -
New Orleans, LA
- 5/9 TBA
- 5/10 WorkPlay -
- 5/11 Variety Playhouse -
- 5/12 Crawfish Boil at
- Riverfront Park Nashville, TN
- 5/14 Rhythm & Brews -
- 5/15 The
OrangePeel - Asheville, NC
- 5/16 Visulite -
- 5/17 Club -
- 5/18 Trocadero -
- 5/19 BandTogether -
- See more details at their online ticket site
Official press release on new Son Volt CD
Son Volt - The Search - In Stores March 6
Album Marks Farrar's and Son Volt's Most Diverse Record Yet
'The Search,' the intriguing new album from Son Volt, is set for release on March 6 on Transmit Sound/Legacy, and it's by far the band's most daring and diverse album yet. The follow-up to 2005's acclaimed 'Okemah and the Melody of Riot,' 'The Search' is a startlingly powerful and inspiring departure from the band's alt-country laden records, employing an exceptional variety of sounds, melodies, and arrangements.
"Instrumentally, the electric guitar was the focus of the last record 'Okemah', but for 'The Search' we wanted to try something new, " says songwriter Jay Farrar. "This time, we utilized different instrumentation to fit each song -- from guitar pedal loops to various keyboard sounds to horns."
The piano of 'Okemah's' gorgeous closing ballad "World Waits For You" returns here to open 'The Search' with the beautifully haunting processional "Slow Hearse." Laced with Eastern-style electric guitar and Farrar's signature vocals, the tune fades out to silence only to dive into 'The Picture,' a track that features an upbeat Memphis-style horn section combined with stirring lyrics that reflect on the current and future state of things, "when war is profit and profit is war."
There's the buzzing, Zeppelin-esque guitar of "Action"; the hypnotic, other-worldly riff of "Circadian Rhythm"; the vocal harmonizing of chanteuse Shannon McNally on "Highways and Cigarettes"; and the Big Brother commentary of title track "The Search," a solid rock song delivered as only Son Volt can.
'The Search' features Jay Farrar (vocal, guitar, piano), Dave Bryson (drums), Derry DeBorja (keyboards), Andrew Duplantis (bass, backing vocals) and Brad Rice (guitar).
Jay Farrar, who is currently wrapping up a run of dates with Anders Parker as part of their side-band Gob Iron in support of the duo's debut 'Death Songs For The Living,' will hit the road with Son Volt for a national tour in March.
'THE SEARCH' Track Listing: